Foreign currency rounding problem on purchase invoice

Hello all,

I have created an sales invoice in a foreign currency (USD in this case) for a
single item at a price of 19.24, no tax at all so the total due is
19.24. The exchange rate is 0.52. When the invoice is posted, I see
that the home currency (GBP) equivalent is 10.00, which is correct to
within rounding.

Now, I go to process the payment via Cash -> Payment. However, the payment
screen shows the outstanding balance as 19.23, since it has taken 10.00
and applied the rate of 0.52 back to it.

At this point there are two possible actions. I could post 19.23
to it as the receipt screen suggests, but that means that the printed
receipt is wrong and says that there is still 0.01 outstanding.
Alternatively, I could post 19.24, but this still only applies 19.23
to the invoice and creates another AR transaction to hold the 0.01
balance - even worse.

The workaround is to change the exchange rate on the original invoice such
that converting to the home currency, rounding, converting back again
and rounding again gives the original total (that's what I've done to make
it work in this case). Doing this ensures that on the receipt screen the
payment due now has the correct value. But this has two problems: it's
a pain in the neck to have to do this computation and more importantly,
one cannot seem to have two different exchange rates on the same day,
so while I could tweak the rate for one invoice, this could make it
impossible for another invoice on the same day for a different amount.

I'll raise this as a bug, but wanted to air it on the list first to see
if any of you have an ideal solution or can point out some error in my
approach.

Thanks,

Pete
http://www.openstrike.co.uk/ or call 07092 020107