Re: Proposed Enhancements to Chart of Accounts Handling for 1.4

On 10/20/07, John Hasler <..hidden..> wrote:
> Chris Travers writes:
> > Nested account headings.  Accounts aren't nested per se, but headings
> > are.  Since each account is attached to only one heading, we can build
> > nested subtotals.
>
> This might be just what I need, but I'm not quite sure what you mean.
> Could you give an example?

No.    Description                 Debits                              Credits
1000 Assets*                   $ 52883.43
1100 Current Assets*          $3314.43
1101 Fees Received             $100.00
1152 Checking Account       $3214.43
1200 Inventory*                 $4324.44
1201 Current Inventory       $4324.44
1300 Accounts Receivable*$45,244.56
1301 Accounts Receivable $45,244.56

In this case we have the following headers and accounts:

Assets
---Current Assets:  Fees .Received, Checking Account
---Inventory:  Current Inventory
---Accounts Receivable:  Accounts Receivable

Although the accounts are not nested themselves (real accounts are
attached to a heading), the headings are hierarchically organized to
allow for hierarchical summary information (such as balances).  The
depth is arbitrary.

Hope this helps,
Chris Travers