Re: Reverse Invoice bug in 1.2.8-1

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 17:46:08 -0700, Chris Travers wrote:

Having said this-- can you tell me what we need to do in order to
reduce your need to repost invoices?

I don't expect to re-post invoices once things are set up, especially after this experience. The reposting which caused me to stumble over the delete invoice bug was mostly a "cockpit problem" as I try to learn the system. I incorrectly used the AP > Reports > AP Aging to bring up and pay an invoice, but it seemed so right while I was going so wrong. I brought up a posted invoice and there at the bottom was this really tempting place to enter the payment. I entered it and after clicking "Post" I got the expected "Warning! You are posting an existing transaction!" message, which I incorrectly assumed meant that the payment would be appended to the existing transaction.

So, my suggestion to help keep others from falling into the same trap in addition to RTFM would be to add a different warning that appears when an invoice is reposted. Something like:

Warning! You are posting an existing transaction! Reposting an invoice will cause the shipped quantities to be added to the previous quantities already posted.

The critical behavior difference seems to be: Reposting a General Ledger transaction replaces the old transaction with the new one. Reposting an Invoice adds the new shipped parts & quantities to the old ones. Or do I misunderstand and this invoice reposting behavior is actually a bug.

My apologies for filling the mailing list with a long explanation of how to reproduce a known bug. In addition to the impressive amount of work you are doing to recode and debug and are there any plans to implement a bugzilla type of bug tracking system? Many thanks for your efforts on this and your patience in supporting those of us who are trying to learn our way around.

Best regards,
Paul Bente