Re: AR screen bugs?

On 9/1/07, Chris Travers <..hidden..> wrote:
 1. not getting the invoice number to generate correctly. It keeps loading '1' instead of 88002 ... etc for each new AR transaction.
Weird.  I have never seen this behavior and I do a lot of invoices.

Its to do with either the cpan module failure (more likely), or my conversion script (only slightly less likely :-)). I might get back to you when I get time to look deeper. Sounds like its my problem though.
Some countries or provinces have funny tax rules.  In some places, or example, whether an item is taxable depends on what else you buy (I wish I were kidding).  So we came up with the idea of tax modules which could calculate taxes based on all information in the invoice.  Currently only 'simple' is supported.

Yes I think had simple running. It looks like you are setting up to make taxes additive or compounding too? I realise I am going to have to learn perl to understand this stuff (or get you to document the design full - cant see that happening in general though :-))

2. not getting any tax to show nor calculate/recalculate, except I think that adding the very first AR record worked OK. If so, this definitely sounds like a programming bug.
AR/Transactions are not supposed to autocalculate taxes.  The reason is that you don't have enough information to know how much of a given line item is taxable.  You either need to enter by hand or else use the sales invoice screen.

Hmm, that's interesting for 2 reasons:
1. The very first AR and AP records _do_ calculate tax! Subsequent ones do not.
2. Sl does it in the AP and AP screens. This is the main reason why the reference site is back on sl, at least for now. They are using the system to input all last years accounts, for the taxman. That's right the whole lot in one hit. This is not an uncommon thing to do here. The figures are aggregates from other systems, so individual invoices are not needed, just daily, weekly and monthly summaries. The AR screen to the logical place to do this I think. Next year, ie this financial year (beginning July 2007 here) they would catch up the past 2 months in similar fashion, then use the system daily for business operations and accounting, ie do invoices etc. So the system needs to work both ways, especially to attract new customers. I think that this would be a common way to bring customers onboard, and across from their existing systems.