Fwd: Oddities in foreign currency invoices

Here's an odd one...

My base currency is CAD, and I've got a client in the States which I
bill in USD.  Most of time I can create invoices and receive payments
with no problems.  However, sometimes when I enter a USD invoice, when
I go to look at it in Cash->receipt, the outstanding amount does not
match the invoice amount (In fact, I've got *no* idea where the number
comes from; it doesn't match either the USD or CAD amount).

For example, here are the particulars of a single invoice in my system:
Currency: USD
Exch rate: 1.05
Item 1: qty=27, price=100, extended=2700
item 2: qty=65, price=100, extended=6500
total: 9200

When I look in cash->receipt->[customer]->update, I see:
amount: 8888.95.  (instead of the USD amount of 9200)

Digging deeper, here are the related journal entries:
07-03-2007  Debit  9,333.40             1200
07-03-2007  Credit  2,739.15    4020
07-03-2007  Credit  6,594.25    4020

The journal entries look correct, but where does the $8888.95 come from?

Thanks,
g.

--
Grant Likely, B.Sc., P.Eng.