Re: Successful upgrade; now I have a few questions.

On Sun, Aug 12, 2007 at 03:09:19PM +1200, Peter McKenna wrote:
> 1. Backup to file seem to work, at least it seems to produce a file that
> looks to be in a compressed format, but how do you restore them? All my
> efforts with pg_restore just get a "[archiver] out of memory" error. I
> can find nothing in the manual about backups and restoration, which
> seems to be a rather important administration task. Googling produced no
> relevant leads and I can't find anything on the wiki about
> backups/restore.

I also can't restore from backups generated by pg_dump -Fc.  Similar
error, different OS to you.

> 2. I take it the system is not too tolerant to changing date or number
> formats. When I tried this I got errors about the datefield being out of
> range and a hint to change the 'datestyle'. Nothing fixed the problem
> which progressively affected more screens and I had to recreate the DB
> from a backup (plaintext backup not the compressed 1.2.7 version).

It isn't as sensitive to number format changes, but yes, there are a few
bits that are still sensitive to the date format settings.

> 4. One thing that might be worth adding to the INSTALL instructions is a
> little reminder about things not working with the apache2-mpm-worker
> package. Ubuntu Feisty seems to install this by default (I don't know if
> Debian does as well), but I can only get things going with
> apache2-mpm-prefork. I actually built a testbed machine to test this
> upgrade and was reminded of this problem. There is something about this
> in another email from some months ago, but it can be a bit of a show
> stopped and there is no obvious cause or warnings about it.

It not working with apache2-mpm-worker on Ubuntu 7.04 is news to me.
The Ubuntu 7.04 test system I have runs LedgerSMB under
apache2-mpm-worker without any difficulty.

> 5. Are there plans to have a restore option in the menu?

Not in 1.2 and I doubt that it would be in a non-admin interface.

> 6. Where has the lock system button gone in admin? Is this not needed
> any more?

I can't think of any places that would need that button.

> 7. One more minor question. Why do the backup file get a *.sqlc
> extension? pgAdmin understands restoring from files of type .backup. Any
> reason to use .sqlc?

Because it isn't SQL.  The extension was changed away from .sql when the
pg_dump format was switched to the custom format.

--
Seneca
..hidden..