Re: Use of Ledgersmb for Governmental bodies

On 8/3/07, David Boyd <..hidden..> wrote:
Hello list,

I represent a small  software development company that provides
solutions to small government (50 to 55,000 population), and wonder if
anyone else has used LedgerSMB or any other open source solution to
satisfy that market? If not is there anyone who would like to partner in
the development of what Chris (during a discussion a few weeks ago)
called a mini fork of LedgerSMB to support only the government market
that would still be based on the core LedgerSMB project?

I think we are on the same page, but just to clarify:

I would think of it as a branch (sharing code and collaboration, but with each area having some unique code).  Some stored procedures may need to be replaced as we move forward simply because the accounting logic is likely to be slightly different for a government than for a for-profit business.

Again, this
would not a fork in the truest sense, as the governmental code would be
based on the standard releases coming from the core development group,
we would simply make the needed additions to support government
customers.

I apologize to the Chris et all, if this is not an appropriate
discussion for the list!!

No problem.  However, the *best* place to discuss code development is on the -devel list :-)

Thanks for reading!

Dave