Re: Payroll integration?

On 8/3/07, Troy Benjegerdes <..hidden..> wrote:
On Fri, Aug 03, 2007 at 01:05:44PM +0100, ..hidden.. wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> Up to now I've been handling my payroll using a spreadsheet and just
> using my accounts package to keep track of the total tax, insurance,
> salaries, payments, etc.  This has worked fine because the payroll
> consisted of two people.
>
> It looks like payroll will be expanding to 4 or 5 before Christmas.
> I'm switching from webERP to LedgerSMB (1.2.7) as of 1st September.
> My question to the panel is: can anyone recommend a simple payroll
> system that can handle UK payroll and can be integrated into LedgerSMB
> without too much pain?

I'm looking into purchasing part of a business which is going to need
US payroll as well. I'd also like to know why you switched to LedgerSMB
from webERP.

I'm also curious if anyone has used ledger-smb for a restaurant/bar type
business, and what their experience was.

 I have had customers in the restaurant/bar business and supported other accounting solutions for that vertical.  THere are a few challenges with using LedgerSMB in that environment.  We are working on these unless there is some sort of sponsorship they are unlikely to be complete until sometime after 1.4.

1)  LedgerSMB's POS module is really aimed at keyboard-centric workflows which work better for retail environments than for restaurants.  This could be worked around with some CSS-type work.

2)  LedgerSMB does not have an easy way to handle modifiers, so printing up detailed instructions to the kitchen staff is not possible at the moment (this may be done for 1.4 depending on what else needs to be done).

3)  LedgerSMB does not currently have any sort of resource management capability (i.e. for managing rentals of DVD's or determining which tables are in use).

Unfortunately, there are no good open source POS systems available for this market area which are under active development.  nTPV seems like a dead project at the moment and L'ane has many of hte same issues (no modifiers, no table management).  So the bad news is, if you want a fully automated solution, there are no open source solutions which are currently going to work for you out of hte box.

On the other hand, if you use hand-written tickets which go to the kitchen staff, and only use LedgerSMB for accounting, this is not a problem.

I wish I had better news for you....