Re: Currency payment issue

On 8/1/07, Ed W <..hidden..> wrote:

> The system still needs a lot of work, for example, to allow for
> correction of incorrect exchange rates.

Actually, I just have a script which pulls the rates from XE.com every
morning.  Breaks every year or so, but other than that it's fine

Care to contribute it?

The correct "accounting" way to handle deviations from the xe.com rates
is to post the difference in fx gain/loss

Agreed.    I think we should store the XE.com rate in the db, and another one attached to the invoice.  We can then regenerate the difference wrt gain/loss properly this way.

The problem right now is that exchange rates are not automated, and so the probability of eventually entering a wrong amount is quite high.  Since the software doesn't provide for this sort of error, it is a problem :-)

I think that the only thing really needed is a template page to assist
in entering all the correct parts of the fx transaction so that  one
doesn't need to calculate all the little bits manually (on a calculator)
first.

Agreed.  My thinking is "Daily exchange rate" and an "exchange rate for this transaction" can be stored so we can automatically calculate these issues.

I will post my complete ledger entries next week, but it's fairly
straightforward once you get the hang of it. (I also think it's quite
correct as is)

Ed W