Re: Making payments against an invoice

On 7/31/07, Iain Mac Donald <..hidden..> wrote:

Yup that was it! Thank you. I had seen that during the setup but the
implications of it didn't register with me.

I am a sysadmin not an accountant (you probably guessed) but I am
curious how others see the workflow in this situation. Our business is
mostly service oriented and we invoice customers then expect/hope for
payment based upon this invoice. For a select few customers we produce
statements every month which detail several invoices but otherwise the
process is the same. We never have any payment at time of invoice.

I had envisaged a workflow like this:
Produce Invoice > Send invoice to customer
One month later...
Sales > Reports > Outstanding > Select debtor > Produce statement
and/or chase invoice
Once paid the invoice would disappear from the Outstanding list.

Producing Sales Receipts seems to create a balancing "invoice" with the
amount in the Paid column. These then have to be reconciled against the
existing invoices (and I haven't considered what happens to invoices
spanning financial years). I realise rules are rules but his seems like
a lot more work to me.

It sounds to me as if you are not associating the payment against the invoice.

In the Cash menu, select "Receipt"
Select the customer
update
select the invoice
enter amount if different than shown
update.
post

You can also use the receipts screen if you need to handle large numbers of payments at once.

Kind regards,
Iain.