How to deal with overpayment.

I know I have read something about this before.  I have 2 invoices
that should be closed (ie. they've been fully paid out), one is an
over payment of some $200, the other is a $75 charge on account.  I
want to get these closed if possible, but I don't know how this would
affect the way that the aged ballance looks.  I know there are
probably a number of ways to do this, I just want to get some ideas of
how others are dealing with this.  I'm currently using 1.1, but am
considering upgrading to 1.2.  Thank you very much.

Jigme Datse