Postgresql / ident?

Hi,

Trying to install for the first time, reading the INSTALL file.

$ createdb -U ledgersmb -O ledgersmb ledgersmb
createdb: could not connect to database postgres: FATAL: Ident authentication failed for user "ledgersmb"

With sql-ledger, I used to have something like:

local   <dbname>        <username>              trust

in pg_hba.conf.  So I added:

local   ledgersmb       ledgersmb               trust

and restarted postgresql, but the same happened.

Do I need to install identd? I thought identd went out of fashion years ago. What do I need to add to pg_hba.conf?

Antony