Postgresql: --createrole not supported in 8.0?

I'm using postgresql 8.0.12 and cannot seem to even initialise the database, as per the INSTALL instructions:

    createuser -d ledgersmb --createdb --createrole --superuser -P

Will give me the result : createuser: unrecognized option `--createrole'

I notice that the requirements for LederSMB say Postgresql 8.x (8.1 recommended).

If 8.1 is required, shouldn't it say that instead?

Or is there something wrong with my postgresql installation?

Thanks,

Terence

P.S. - I had no problem with SL 8.2. That didn't appear to need 'roles'. What's the difference actually?