Re: Automating backups

pg_dump is the supported way of doing backups in LedgerSMB.

LedgerSMB uses pg_dump internally for backups.  It is the best way to
backup the database in this software and has the fewest problems.

SQL-Ledger uses its own routines becase of the idea that some day
non-PostgreSQL databases may again be supported.  Also pg_dump prior
to 8.0 had known issues handling dependencies and sometimes this meant
that it was difficult or impossible to restore the data in a large
backup.  Since we only support PostgreSQL 8.0 and higher, these
problems don't affect us.

Also, just to help ensure that the process is understood, here is a
little about the process:
1)  pg_dump takes essentially a snapshot of the difference between
template0 and the target database.  This means that anything added to
template1 or the current database is added.

2)  To restore, you have to create a new database and pipe through
psql.  If you get errors, you might have something wrong with
template1.  You can fix this by creating your new database with the -T
template0 option.

On 4/3/07, Joshua D. Drake <..hidden..> wrote:
Glen Morris wrote:
> I would like to use a server side script to create the LedgerSMB backs
> for each database. Are there any such scripts?

pg_dump

              http://www.commandprompt.com/