Re: Product purchases question

Our community content repository is still under development.

Leah Kubik has donated a wiki at
http://ledgersmb.frauerpower.com/index.php/Main_Page

On 3/14/07, Matt Jackson <..hidden..> wrote:
Mr. Travers,

Thank you for the information. Most helpful.

What is the quickest/easiest way to set up a wiki for LedgerSMB? Can this be
done on SourceForge under the existing project page?

If so, and it is not already done, I would like to spend some time
transcribing the PDF documentation into such a documentation wiki, in order
that any one of us would be able to add clarifications and elaborations such
as the ones you've just given me "on the fly," which can then be translated
later back into a more fully fleshed-out PDF document.

Please advise on the existing systems' ability to do this.

Regards,
Matt Jackson

On 3/14/07, Chris Travers < ..hidden..> wrote:

> On 3/14/07, Matt Jackson < ..hidden..> wrote:
> > Hello all.
> >
> > I am trying to train myself in LedgerSMB and am confused on a few
points. My
> > business is retail, I order goods from vendors to sell over the
internet. I
> > am just going to ask the questions one at a time, so I don't trip over
> > myself.
> >
> > 1. I would like to enter an order for product I have made, paid for and
> > received from a vendor.
> >
> > Do I use
> > - "AP > Add Transaction"?
> > - "AP > Vendor Invoice"?
> > - or should I use something more like "Order Entry > Purchase Order"?
>
> A purchase order is an agreement to purchase a product.  It does not
> constitute a purchase.  IANAL, but I wonder if a purchase order one
> one side combined with a quotation on the other could constitute a
> contract.
>
> A vendor invoice is used to purchase products and services of defined
> values.  This affects inventory control where appropriate.
>
> An AP Transaction adds expenses to your books.  Classic uses might be
> the purchase of a business license, hiring an accountant or an
> attourney, etc.
>
> There is a receiving interface that allows you to mark items in the
> Purchas Order as having arrived for invoice.
>
> Does that help?
> >
> > What are the distinctions? I am afraid the manual has a flowchart to it
(pg.
> > 28), but I am not grasping how to "move" these things from one status to
> > another...what is the procedure?
> >
> > I guess from the above in my case, if I were:
> >
> > - entering an old, paid, received shipment of goods from a vendor, I
would
> > just start with the AP invoice (being "last in line" in the flowchart)
and
> > mark it paid.
>
> RIght.  This adds the items into your inventory.
> >
> > - entering a new paid but not received invoice, enter a purchase order
and
> > move through the steps of the pg 28 flowchart.
>
> Technically right.
>
> Invoices should be due when the goods are received, but sometimes, you
> may have to pay up-front.  I tend to use invoices for this just
> because we don't have a better way of doing that at the moment.  For
> AP invoices, I do not think this violates GAAP (IANACPA) because if
> anything it will show more expenses than  might be accrued and
> therefore would err on the side of conservatism.  For AR invoices, I
> think you could run into GAAP issues if you bill customers in this way
> before you receive the money.
>
> HTH,
> Chris Travers

Regards,