Re: Considering move from SQL-Ledger to LedgerSMB

The migration to 1.1.8 is designed to be no more painless than an
upgrade of SQL-Ledger.  1.2 will be harder and we are working on
migration issues at the moment.

There are two corner cases where you can run into problems, however:

1)  If you have custom views, the change from DOUBLE to NUMERIC may
cause the upgrade to fail.  You will probably want to drop the views
first, then recreate them later.  pg_dump can be used to dump view
definitions.

2)  We are a lot more strict regarding data integrity than SQL-Ledger.
There are a number of situations where data corruption in SQL-Ledger
is allowed to slide and in these cases, the upgrade will fail.  We can
help you resolve these issues, however.

My recommendation is to create a copy of your database and use that
for the upgrade.  Something like createdb -T sql-ledger ledger-smb
will create a new database named ledger-smb as a copy of sql-ledger.
Of course having other backups is a good idea for reasons other than
the upgrade.