LedgerSMB
The foundation for your business
Fork me on GitHub
Re: [ledgersmb-devel] LedgerSMB packages in Debian

Re: [ledgersmb-devel] LedgerSMB packages in Debian

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 5:27 AM Stefan Hornburg (Racke)
<..hidden..> wrote:

> On 3/23/19 7:45 PM, Robert J. Clay wrote:
> >.... I've also been thinking about a major
> > change in the package; that being changing it so that it uses the dojo
> > distributed in the LedgerSMB archive instead of that in Debian like is
> > already being done with our 'ledgersmb-1.6' package, on the basis that
> > the version in Debian is not the same as that actually being used by
> > the app itself.
> >
> > There's not that much of a dojo related version difference with what
> > LedgerSMB 1.6 uses (Debian testing has v1.14.2) but that's not the
> > case for LSMB 1.7 so it's something I need to look at in any case.
> >

> Actually I don't think that is a good idea. The release cycle starts
> again after buster is ready, and there is enough time to get dojo in
> sync with what is in LedgerSMB.

Or at least, with the dojo toolkit itself.   A reason why LSMB
includes it is because that version can get of sync, pariticularly
with released LSMB versions, which track the major/minor version of
dojo from at the time that the LSMB version was released.but might get
the patch level version number sync'ed occasionally.  (This is done
using sub-modules in the LSMB code repository against the dojo code
repository.)

> Also it is the general policy in Debian to
> use the available packaged version instead of including it in the
> application package. This is for various good reasons (maintenance, security,
> package size, ...).

   Yes, I know;  it's why I changed the 'ledgersmb' pkg to use the
Debian dojo pkgs when LSMB started using dojo 3 years ago. I also know
that the policy [1] is a 'should' not a 'must'. OTOH; I don't yet know
how much, if any, the version difference might actually make.
Especially over a patch level difference like that between 1.14.2 &
1.14.3.  Which likely means that I should really focus first on
gettting the 'ledgersmb' pkg working with autopkgtest.

--
Robert J. Clay
[1] https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-source.html#convenience-copies-of-code