Re: 1.5 readiness checks (1.2/1.3/1.4 upgrades in particular)

Following up to myself:

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 10:24 PM, Erik Huelsmann <..hidden..> wrote:
Hi all,

In preparing for the 1.5 release, I'm going over a few things that need to be absolutely fine when we release 1.5. Today I was checking:

- Installation docs (to be done)

This is now nearly done; see http://ledgersmb.org/topic/installing-ledgersmb-15 (done yesterday) and http://ledgersmb.org/topic/preparing/preparing-ledgersmb-15-first-use (done just now).

- Correct operation of setup.pl (was worked on last week, doing fine on my system now)
- Correct operation of login.pl (we're running tests on this one all the time; doing fine on my system)

Verified these while working on the installation instructions over the past week and corrected a number of issues I've encountered in course of it.

One topic that drew my attention today -- largely due to Arne Hanssen's issues with 1.4 -- is data migration. We have a largish number of scripts in sql/upgrade/. Some seem to be for upgrades to 1.3, some to 1.4, some to be used manually, others to be used by automated migration for setup.pl.

However, none of them seem to target 1.5; neither does Upgrade_Tests.pm include 1.5.

This is next on my list. I'm not considering it blocking, but I do think it's pretty important to have the basics working correctly.

Now, I know that we have very few schema changes between 1.4 and 1.5 and we have the sql/changes/ directory, but I'm not clear on how to tie this all together at this point.

Should we simply remove the 1.2->1.3, 1.2->1.4 scripts? What about the 1.3->1.4 scripts? From my understanding, the sql/changes/ directory picks up from 1.4.0; do we require all 1.2 and 1.3 users upgrade by going through 1.4 first? I mean, I understand we don't provide community support for 1.2 and 1.3 anymore; does that mean no migrations either?

These questions are for my own understanding as well as for documentation to go with the 1.5 release.
@Chris, what should be documented on the point of database migrations and schema upgrades?

Regards,

--
Bye,