[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Preparing 1.5-rc1 documentation / analysing where to put the various docs

Before starting to write the various docs, while thinking where to put them, I decided to have a look at our webtraffic (made available by our Drupal hoster Freelock.com: http://piwik.freelock.com/).

In April, nearly 60% of our traffic entered the site through the front page. Funny fact: of the remaining 40%, nearly all traffic enters the site at one specific FAQ item: "What's the difference between a sales order and a sales invoice".

Out of total traffic on the front page, 20% goes straight to download, 20% goes to inspect the features page and 20% goes to the demo page. Only 6% goes to the documentation pages.

Would it be a valid conclusion that apparently the website isn't a good place to write our documentation?

Or would a better conclusion be that we're apparently not referring to any existing documentation on the site from sources that people have access to?

I can imagine both to be the case, really. In order to be able to take the next step the above leaves me wondering: if we put summarized installation instructions in the release package and more extensive ones on the site, we can adjust the installation instructions after the release -- e.g. based on user experience. I like that idea a lot.

In a way, I'm feeling like I'm designing/architecting again :-) This time our information structure. So, I'd *love* to get some feedback on this topic.



http://efficito.com -- Hosted accounting and ERP.
Robust and Flexible. No vendor lock-in.
Find and fix application performance issues faster with Applications Manager
Applications Manager provides deep performance insights into multiple tiers of
your business applications. It resolves application problems quickly and
reduces your MTTR. Get your free trial!
Ledger-smb-devel mailing list