Re: contrib/replication still applicable?

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the response!

On Nov 30, 2015 6:41 PM, "R. Ransbottom" <..hidden..> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 29, 2015 at 06:42:24PM +0100, Erik Huelsmann wrote:
> > there's a contrib/replication directory with a Slony-I configuration script
> > in it. It was last modified 4 years ago, 6 years after being committed to
>
> > (Regardless of whether it should be deleted, I'm moving it to utils/ for
>
> Moving this to utils/ claims it as LSMB code. Since you consider it for
> deletion, putting in as supported code seems wrong.

I've seen many projects which have contributed/ directories. But the meaning "claim it as LSMB code" isn't quite clear to me, nor is the meaning of a contrib/ directory: any file which holds a specific copyright notice is exactly that.

Since there is no legal entity which holds the copyright of any of the rest of ledgersmb's code (apart from the SL copyrights owned I assume by DWS), I don't think there's much to claim.
Even stronger: since we are an informal association, a group of people working on the.same software, everybody who contributes automatically becomes part of the project, right? If looked at it this way, we can never distribute anything that's "not LSMB".

On the other hand: if we will not maintain this code, nor test it, then I guess there is little more than we can do than delete it if someone were to report it's broken. This is of course based on my personal belief that we should only ship things of which we are reasonably sure it will work...

> I don't have any per this specific code. If it worked 4 years ago, it
> might have some value as a template from which to start work.  It is cheap
> to leave it in contrib/.

Ah. But if it were that cheap, I wouldn't have asked! The point here being that the contributed directory takes up an entry in the top-level directory and too many items in the top-level directory is very much undesirable: we want first and new users to understand where they landed and visitors of our github repository to be able to see our README on their first screen - not after scrolling down one or two screens.

Regards,

Erik.