Re: Helping new installs find the right dependencies?

On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 5:52 AM, Erik Huelsmann <..hidden..> wrote:

> Recent discussions - both on the mailing lists and through private mail -
> show that people still find it hard (or even very hard) to get and install
> the right dependencies.

   And yes, determining why that is, I agree is something we should help with...

> My thinking is that we can help admins by providing a tarball with all the
> required and optional dependencies which are known to work with LedgerSMB
> (and each other!).

  Provide how? Distribution archives?  For which versions  of LSMB ?
Which Perl versions?  Which distros?

> That would remove the need for admins installing LSMB to go out to CPAN.

    How can that be a good thing?  How would they then get security
and other updates?

> How do others feel about providing such a deps-tarball?

  Not a good a good idea, I don't think...    Too much of a support problem.

> Would it help solve  the dependencies issue?

    Better to identify why people might be having problems getting
them via their package manager or cpan.

> Does anybody have experience doing so for a Perl project ....?

   I've experience attempting to provide tech support  for apps that
do that (I work at a web and server hosting company, besides what I do
myself), which is why I don't think it's a good  idea.

--
Robert J. Clay