Considering bumping up the Perl required version

Hi everyone;

I am considering for 1.5 bumping up the required Perl version to 5.10.  This would allow us to start using a few more advanced features in Perl and Perl 5.10 is available on most platforms we are targetting.

The major platform this would exclude us from IMO is RHEL and friends, versions 5.5 and lower.  RHEL 6.0 comes with Perl 5.10.

Our dependencies right now do support 5.8 but only on life support (i.e. no guarantee of continuing).  Moving to 5.10 as a matter of policy would help reduce our risk there.

(Current is 5.18).

Any thoughts?  Would it be worth planning on bumping this up a major version every year or two?

http://www.efficito.com/learn_more