Re: My post-1.4 priorities

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 9:14 AM, Chris Travers <..hidden..> wrote:
Two more thoughts:

Ok. This is a big one. Even though I think it's a great goal to set, if it were up to me, I'd like to split this up in smaller tasks, if possible.\

At this point I don't think it is possible.  The db has to be redesigned from underneath and making that backwards-compatible is going to take almost as much time as the full rewrite.

One thing that I think is important for the project as a whole is that we can maintain a reasonable level of stability during the entire rewrite -- it helps with the acceptance of the final 1.5 end result.

Sure, but I would highly suggest that we not make the financial logic a moving target and try hard to avoid any new reports against financial tables in the mean time.  Otherwise, if it is a moving target, it will never get done.

Well, my point is merely that we should strive to keep trunk in working order. Maybe we should/can start this work on a branch so that even if this work turns out to be infeasible (or rather: the resources to finish it turn out to be unavailable), we'll still have a working trunk version.

Does that sound like an approach?

--
Bye,

Erik.