Re: menu

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 2:08 PM, Erik Huelsmann <..hidden..> wrote:
Hi Chris,

Should we add the technical "how to" you documented below somewhere on the ledgersmb.org site, or maybe in docs in the development tree?

Maybe in the community guide?

Bye,

Erik.

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 4:14 AM, Chris Travers <..hidden..> wrote:
Can you be more specific?

The general Perl object you probably want to use is LedgerSMB::DBObject::Menu and since this inherits from LedgerSMB::DBObject, the simplest way to do this is to create a user defined function in PostgreSQL.  From there it is very straight-forward to pull that data into LedgerSMB as an array of hashrefs by using either $request->call_procedure if you want to use enumerated arguments, or $menu->exec_method if you want to use mapped arguments.  In essence you can use a user defined function as a named query.

For example, if I wanted to select some information for the current logged in user, I might:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION custom_get_some_info()
returns setof menu_item language sql as $$

      SELECT u.position, u.id, u.level, u.path, to_args(array[ua.attribute, ua.value))
        FROM user_menu u
        JOIN user_menu_attribute ua ON u.id = ua.node_id
       WHERE u.login = SESSION_USER;
$$;

Note that you can also RETURN TABLE(....) and this will work as advertised.

Then from Perl you could add to a custom/menu.pl, the right namespace (LedgerSMB::Scripts::menu) and a modified version of the expanding_menu.pl.  Unfortunately for now, the best thing to do would be to just copy/paste the function in there and then modify it.  To call the procedure and get a list of hash refs it is as simple as:

@new_menu_items = $request->call_procedure(procname => 'custom_get_some_info');

or alternatively

@new_menu_items = $menu->exec_method(funcname => 'custom_get_some_info');

If you have to pass additional info to the function it is a little more complex than this, but with more info I can provide more info on how to do that in the framework.  The big difference between call_procedure (which works from either $request or $menu) is that it takes enumerated arguments, while exec_method maps in arguments from current object properties.