Re: Time to remove support for Pg 8.3?

On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 1:30 AM, Erik Huelsmann <..hidden..> wrote:
Hi Chris,

On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 10:20 AM, Chris Travers <..hidden..> wrote:
Hi everyone;

I was wondering what folks thought about removing support for Pg 8.3 at this point, since there are no further releases expected from the PostgreSQL team.

If we remove Pg 8.3 support, we should be able to remove all contrib dependencies (which are all removed if you have 8.4 or higher and you rebuild your db anyway).

What do you mean by removing 8.3 support? Mid 1.3? Or before we release 1.4?

In case of the latter, I'm fine with that. However, in case of the former I wonder if that's wise: it'll create an obstacle on the upgrade path for people to get bugfixes.

Actually those aren't the only two options.

We could also just remove the bits about installing contrib scripts and upgrades will work as is, but new dbs will not.  The key thing is that would remove historical bug factories, but those bug factories don't seem active so may not be worth much.

As it is, let's keep on track for requiring 8.4 in 1.4, and leave things as they are.