Re: Proposal: More intuitive UI for Customer/Vendor screens

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 7:01 AM, Michael Richardson <..hidden..> wrote:

> [...]
    Erik> Working with the Customer/Vendor interfaces for a while now,
    Erik> I've been
    Erik> thinking how to improve it -- make it more intuitive.

It is rather complex right now, and I think that it needs a "KISS" flag
to turn off even some of the complexity we have right now.

I can understand that there are things which can not even be expressed
now, but it might be easier to deal with the more complex things if we
do not try to cater to both Expert and Basic uses.

    Erik> Attached I've drawn a layout which I think fits better with
    Erik> the model that
    Erik> our UI already supports.

So Addresses live inside Accounts.

Great, 95% of users likely only ever have one account per vendor, so in
that canonical case, it would be nice if that outer Account box could
disappear.

There are certainly users which currently have multiple per vendor. (probably less than 5% though they are larger users which contribute dispurportionately).  So certainly we need to be able to  support this.  Also note you can associate customer accounts with vendors and vice versa (currently broken on 1.4 btw, but an easy fix, and will get to it soon if nobody beats me to it)

However as you say there are many more cases where this is not the case.  I think one thing that would be very helpful would be a "simple" interface.  Honestly if someone wants to write just the HTML template (based on what we currently have) I would be happy to do the Perl code to use our object models to save/retrieve the information.

]       He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life!           |  firewalls  [
]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works, Ottawa, ON    |net architect[
] ..hidden.. http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
                       then sign the petition.