Re: Proposal to formalize end-of-life

Hi Berend,

To my knowledge this is not customary. E.g. Subversion has a completely independent release schedule from any of the distributions. However, since rules and regulations seem to change regularly in the accounting business (but not in version control) it seems appropriate to at least provide minimal fixes.

Also, accounting data is typically very sensitive data. While version control data may be too, one would expect technical people to be able to secure it (or to find people to do so for them). But everybody who runs a business needs an accounting/ERP package, even if they're technically left handed. My idea behind the proposal was that we should facilitate packagers to create releases as easily as possible.

Though a different approach could be to estimate that we have 18 months between releases. LTS distributions such as Ubuntu LTS and Debian typically run for 18 months as well. This would require us to keep support for 36 months after initial release or rather 18 months after the follow-up release. Since this reasoning is independent of individual distros, it's probably a better criterion?

Bye,

Erik.

On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Berend Tober <..hidden..> wrote:
Erik Huelsmann wrote:
> The last bit means that since 1.3 is packaged in Debian and
> Ubuntu LTS, it'll be EOL'd somewhere in 2014 or 2015.
> How about that?

Is that typical practice? (Seriously ... I do not know.) I mean, to tie a specific package dependency to (possibly many) others decisions about support for their distribution? What if a distribution goes dormant and is never formally EOL'd ... does LSMB get stuck with having to unreasonably follow through on a support commitment for that one customer that never gives up on the no-longer-maintained distribution?

My gut feeling is the package should be independent -- unless there is some kind of working agreement between the LSMB team and the distribution maintainer team, but honestly this a decision I do not bring much experience to and so do not really have a good grasp on the up- and down, sides, or what it conventional practice is.