Re: Poll: Which other languages to support first?

Hi Chris,

On Jul 21, 2012 10:04 AM, "Chris Travers" <..hidden..> wrote:

> Hi all;
>
> I have just put up a poll on language bindings or development environments folks would like to see supported.  I'd like to give folks an idea of my thinking behind each of these reasons and a chance to discuss the options and perhaps add more.

As you probably understand the votes from me and my business partner are for lisp bindings. (I'll add our votes later).

> Again, anyone who would like to take on the actual work for any of these, I would be more than happy to help out a bit.

As far as this point is concerned I think it would be helpful to have a bit more clear picture of what you mean by 'language bindings'. Is that to you the function argument mapper we have in Perl? Ie the code which maps object fields to function arguments and back? Or is it more like the equivalent of the Perl objects we currently have in place which encapsulate much of the underlying SQL world?

>  PHP:  This might be a good way to get e-commerce stuff and shopping carts added.

Sounds like a very good idea. It's something many are probably looking for. However to make sure this the eCommerce integration happens securely, maybe we want to write down our vision of a "secure enough" setup and which data would be shareable between the systems. Ideally, all data should be captured once within the integrated system.

>  Python:  Python is a popular platform and there might be a lot of input we could get there.

True. It's said to have programmers who write cleaner code than Perl programmers - something that was probably true a long time ago. The Perl code I encounter these days is rather clean.

>  Lisp:  Lisp has a great reputation among certain groups of programmers.  It may be a good way to help attract top-tier talent to some things we are doing.

Well, I know at least one or two people who won't mind helping out depending on the size of the project.

>  Ruby:  Ruby has huge mindshare.  This would not be Rails bindings of course but just a Ruby gem designed to provide query mapping services.
>  Java:  Larger businesses may be happier if we have Java bindings.

This is very true: many businesses focus on running their software on a few known platforms one of which is usually Java. I don't see huge value in providing bindings-only in this case though: I would expect such companies to require running the web app in a servlet container, which would mean duplicating code.

>  _javascript_/Node.js
>  LUA:  Make it even easier to customize workflow-wise.

Maybe you can go into detail on this one? I don't get why you'd need lua for that.