Re: Next development 1.4 release coming soon

On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 9:47 PM, John Locke <..hidden..> wrote:
> Wow. Great stuff!
>
> Did the web services stuff make it in yet, or will that be coming after
> 1.4 solidifies?

There's a web services framework.  it's not well tested yet because we
need scripts to actually interface with the objects and the contact
management stuff just barely was finalized (as in yesterday!).  I
expect to do web services for customers/vendors (as a way of testing
the framework) after this next developer's release.

As a note 1.4 requires PostgreSQL 8.4 or later because of the use of
recursive common table expressions.    In theory it might have been
able to support PostgreSQL 8.3 if we had continued to use
tablefunc/connectby WITH RECURSIVE seems to perform a lot better (half
the execution time in the best case for connectby(), 1/70th for the
worst case) and the code is a lot more maintainable.

As we get into 1.5 we will probably want to require PostgreSQL 9.1
owing to the addition of writeable CTE's.  The sorts of things we will
be getting into in 1.5 will really benefit from this.  Basically this
will greatly simplify update-or-insert logic so it can be done as a
single query instead of update, check, insert.  I don't think we will
seriously start on 1.5 until late this year, but it's just something
to think about.