Re: Factoring out common search facility [for customers, parts, ...]

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 1:39 PM, Michael Richardson <..hidden..> wrote:

> [...]
   Erik> However, if the data in the data entry screen is modified
   Erik> w.r.t. what's in the database, I want the modified data in the
   Erik> screen to stay in tact. I also want the data in the database
   Erik> to remain unchanged until the user hits Save -- where I don't
   Erik> want the screen to be saved if the eca selection still needs
   Erik> to take place.

One of the frustrations that I and others have had on the invoice
screen is that we'd generally like to customize the description.

So we put "consulting" in as the part, and we get the value, then we
change the description to suit.  One of the effects of this is this is
that if we are "fast enough" to have entered "consulting" on the part
number, and we don't hit "update" first, then we don't find the part,
since the description fails to match.  (This is 1.2 experience)

So, if we are refactoring, I would love after it is done, to be able to
mark "parts" (services) as matching only on the part-number, or
description (or both).

That's great feedback.  I am going to track this as a feature request.

I don't think we can really delve too much into the invoice code at present but that is on our list of things to refactor and making sure we understand everyone's needs would be helpful.

Here's my thinking as to how this should work when we get to it:

1)  If there is only one match on part number, we accept it.  Partnumber matches from beginning of string (so br matches br-0111 but not cbr-0111 which it does as present).

2)  If not we look at description.  If there is only one match there we accept it.   Full partial match supported here by full text search.

3)  If not, we display a listing to choose from with the option of creating a new good or service.

]       He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life!           |  firewalls  [
]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works, Ottawa, ON    |net architect[
] ..hidden.. http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
                      then sign the petition.