Question regarding "Tax Included" on POS Invoice screen

I have setup a customer database using selecting Brazil COA.  I have setup two tax types (ICMS & Federal Nacional).  I added a customer and checked both taxes under Taxes on the Accounts page of the customer record.  My question is this.  When I go to Point of Sale/Sale which opens the Add POS Invoice page, I enter the customer's name in the Customer field and hit the Enter key.  This looks up and then populates the POS Invoice screen with the customer details.  It also adds on the right hand size under Total a checkbox labeled "Tax Included". I need to better understand what checking or unchecking this box does.  My initial assumption is checking this box adds the sales taxes and post them to the appropriate tax accounts, and unchecking them results in no sales tax being charged and added to the appropriate sales tax accounts.  Are my assumptions correct?  Since I had checked the both Taxes on the customer record when I had set it up, I would have expected the checkbox on the POS Invoice screen to already be checked by default. Since it wasn't, it started me thinking that maybe I misunderstand the use of this checkbox on the POS Invoice screen.

--
Best Regards,
Steven Marshall