Re: LedgerSMB 1.3.6-rc1 released

Chris, Darald,

On 2011-11-24 00:31, Chris Travers wrote:
Hi;

Just a few notes to anyone who may be looking for recommendations.

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 5:21 AM, o1bigtenor <..hidden..> wrote:

I am also not trying to start any kind of distro war!

Noted.

I switched from Fedora for business use because I got right tired of
having to update every six months (or so). Upgrading sometimes left me
with issues (I am a serious user NOT a hacker so I still am not very
proficient at troubleshooting) that cost me a lot of time and
sometimes expense. So I made a decision to switch to Debian because I
liked the idea of longer term upgrade cycle. I would like to stay on
such for precisely that one reason - - I do not like to change systems
twice a year.

I tend to stick on a Fedora version till the end of it's supported life so I get about 11 months or so. Having said that though, Fedora IS the bleeding edge for RH . .

First, as a Fedora user let me say that without a doubt it is a very
lousy server OS.  I would not recommend running business servers on
it.

Could you elaborate a little? I have always been pretty happy with it . .

I develop on it because it gives me early warnings for the kinds
of issues that may pop up with the RHEL-family of distros.

which is what it is meant for of course . .

So I do
run LedgerSMB on it in an eat-your-own-dogfood sort of way, so my
failure to follow my own advice here is rather deliberate.

For non-dev installations of LedgerSMB, in my opinion, you really need
a distro with long-term support.  This means one of:
1)  RHEL and friends (CentOS, Scientific Linux, etc)
2)  Debian Stable
3)  Ubuntu LTS (and friends, like Mint LTS)
4)  Anything else with a long support cycle.

The problems that Darald brings up are real ones.  There may be
advantages for us devs ignoring these and working on short-term
support releases ourselves.  However I would not today use these in
setting up servers for customers.

Agreed.

Debian is not a bad distro, and neither is Scientific Linux.

I might have a look at a virtual SL setup now on your recommendation!

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades