Re: RC2 and perl modules

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 3:05 AM, Pete Houston <..hidden..> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I raised a bug against RC2 here:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3412267&group_id=175965&atid=875350
>
> Erik closed this bug off and asked for discussion on this list, so here
> I am!

Great!

> The problem I had was when I had installed RC2 on a stock
> Centos 6 installation (which has perl 5.10.1) it did not have
> Time::HiRes originally installed, so the module had to be added later
> via yum. Erik's point is that the module is listed as a core module at
> http://perldoc.perl.org/index-modules-T.html which is true, but the way
> RHEL/CentOS is packaged, not all of the core modules are installed with
> the base perl package.

Ouch.  Is this specific to RHEL/CentOS/SL 6?  Was it the case with 5 as well?

It seems like we need a distro-specific note here (and maybe a
separate RPM for RHEL6 and offshoots?), so trying to scope out what is
affected.

> So, having been through the list of additional perl modules listed in
> the INSTALL file, I tried running LSMB and received this error:
>
> [Wed Sep 21 13:48:46 2011] [error] [client REDACTED] Can't locate
> Time/HiRes.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/local/lib64/perl5
> /usr/local/share/perl5 /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl
> /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/lib64/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 .) at
> LedgerSMB/Auth/DB.pm line 36.
>
> To fix this, I installed the perl-Time-HiRes rpm (which did indeed
> install the module in the core library path).
>
> I would suggest that in order to avoid this confusion the INSTALL file
> could also include a list of the core modules explicitly used by LSMB so
> that those of us using a distro-provided perl can check that these are
> in place.
>
> Pete

The only issue here (and why I backed Erik's initial decision on this)
was that we don't necessarily want to flood the requirements list with
a set of dependencies which are packaged with core Perl.  If Red Hat
is doing something crazy with packaging Perl, this is a problem for
Red Hat users, not for all users.  Consequently it makes more sense to
put in a note saying "If you are running x, perl doesn't come with y
so you have to install it separately" rather than just saying "you
need y."

I'm also in process of reviewing whether this might be a stale
dependency.  I will let you know.