Re: Exception handling in Perl or rather: non-local goto's

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 2:49 PM, Erik Huelsmann <..hidden..> wrote:
> Last weekend, I added non-local gotos using exception handling to
> replace 'exit;' calls.
>
> Today, mst showed up on IRC (coincidentally), telling me about an
> issue with running our code under suEXEC conditions. That bit was
> fixed in r3304, but as he did some code review, he pointed out my use
> of Error.pm is really 'so 2005' -- Error.pm having been superseeded by
> Try::Tiny.

I suppose there are worse things than using programming practices that
are "so 2005."  It would be more helpful if we could have some idea
what the relevant cost/benefits of an approach are rather than just a
blanket characterization.  Is the module unmaintained?  What precisely
are the issues?  If we don't know what the issues are and the code
works, let's not spend a lot of effort rewriting.s

> When reading the POD for Try::Tiny, I get extremely unhappy about its
> treatment of the $@ variable. However, possibly, that doesn't matter
> much for our specific purpose.

Can you be specific here?