Re: State of Perl-based database setup utilities for LedgerSMB 1.3

> > I would personally prefer as much possible to be integrated into the
> > app's first run, although I don't necessarily expect that in 1.3.
>
> I don't think it's safe to do that.  With 1.3, you actually have to
> specify a
> database to log in.  The "central database" is now the interdatabase
> pg_catalog info

Why not?  You would have to run those kind of checks before displaying the
login form.  When I setup Roundcube (web email interface) it has a very
similar issue, where it lets your IMAP server handle authentication, but
it knows enough to make sure than an IMAP server has been configured
first, and if not, steps you through the necessary steps.
I can't remember what it was, but I also ran into a pkg fairly recently
that prompted for a DB user with admin rights to create the initial
database if necessary; that check would get automatically triggered if,
say, you mucked around on the backend and broke logins.  (But you'd get a
different error if the app couldn't connected to the database at all.)

In short: initial setup does not have to depend on logging in first, IMHO.

-Adam Thompson