Re: State of Perl-based database setup utilities for LedgerSMB 1.3

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 7:27 PM, Luke <..hidden..> wrote:
> On Fri, 27 May 2011, Chris Travers wrote:
>
>> database, do we want to treat creating a new company database as a
>> build process or an administrative task for dependency and/or UI
>> reasons?
>
> I would want it to be administrative.  Integrated with the codebase.
>
> No company database should be required to run, and new ones, including the
> first, should be creatable within 1.3, not externally to it.
>
> Unless I'm missing something in what you're talking about here--I would
> assume that the system-wide database would still have to be created as a
> part of the build process, although even that should probably be a
> required pending step upon first admin login.

No need for a central db in 1.3.

The issue here is:
4)  (Ideally, in my view) checking to ensure all this is sane.

Now, user interface is one issue.  If you want it to be a wizard for
managing installation/deinstallation of databases, I don't see why
this cannot be built on whatever we do here.

The more limited question I have here is whether folks think it is a
good idea to package standard test cases with the application that can
be used to manage error handling in all these cases, and determine
everything is sane before a database is actually used.

> I would personally prefer as much possible to be integrated into the app's
> first run, although I don't necessarily expect that in 1.3.

I don't think it's safe to do that.  With 1.3, you actually have to
specify a database to log in.  The "central database" is now the
interdatabase pg_catalog info