Re: Upcoming 2.0 of LedgerSMB

On Sun, 2010-07-25 at 02:08 -0400, Luke wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jul 2010, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
> > 2.0 of LedgerSMB is going to branch soon. The primary goal of 2.0 is to
>
> Is there any intent to do a final release of 1.3, or will it continue to
> be worked on concurrently?

Yes. There will be. Real 2.0 development I don't see happening until 1.3
is final. This is just a precursor so we can start moving forward.

> > eliminate all legacy code from our SQL-Ledger heritage. However, there
> > are other goals that others may have that I would like to start a
> > discussion on.
>
> Presumably, Chris's modularization model will be preserved?

Yep :D

> > My Primary goals are:
> >
> > I firmly believe we need to eliminate Latex or at least not make it a
> > requirement and move to more modern technologies to generate invoices.
>
> Probably agreed.  What did you have in mind as potential replacements?

Nothing concrete but I have mentioned CSS or XSLT.

> > I would like to create a new template for presentation. The old template
> > is fine for some folks but pretty matters and I want to eliminate frames
> > and push to a proper ajax style interface. (again optional)
>
> I am one who routinely fights for non-js interfaces to be preserved.  I
> work in enough odd platforms, and support users who also do, that having
> graceful degradation is a 100%, app becomes useless without it,
> requirement.

This is an alternate. Frankly I don't care what browser you run, but if
you want to run my templates you are going to be using Firefox 3.5,
Chrome, Safari etc...

>   > Lastly, for 2.0 we are moving to Git. We have already created
> the > repository and will slowly begin to populate over the coming months.
>
> Glad that's finally happening!

I as well :D

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake