Re: How can I help?

On 06/04/2010 21:53, Chris Travers wrote:
I have been swamped with other things and expect to get back on Ian's
patches this week.

Appologies for the inconvenience :-)

We are covering old ground, but one thing I like about github is that the patchtracker becomes:
- Fork the project
- Make a bunch of edits in some private branch
- Push new branch to your own public fork
- Email people telling them about your branch

Now you can a) happily roll along running your own private version of the project, b) you have change control over your own patches, c) it's easy to follow the original project HEAD as it moves forward, d) the rest of the world can easily pickup your patches and its much easier to keep those patches current vs HEAD even as the original project might diverge or only part integrate those changes

I believe there is something similar to github for Mercurial (and possibly bazaar?), but no experience. Most people seem to also strap on Redmine or Trac to do proper issue management for the main project.

Personally I love this way of working. My workflow on a bunch of projects is now to fork the main repo I'm following, also add in tracking branches to the 3-4 other people who have patches I want to use, plus my own private branch of patches, then cherry pick from all of that into my own personal master branch and that becomes my live branch. The great thing is that forever you can easily see your whole branch as a series of patches and also where they all originally came from - even years later you can toss out some old commit way down the stack

Just my 2p

Good luck

Ed W