Re: Proposal for 2.0: New monetary data types

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 3:20 PM, Luke <..hidden..> wrote:
> Is there any way to provide basic functionality similar to 1.2, and use
> all of this as an LSMB module?

Well, as 2.0 takes shape we will have to decide whether or not to do
this.  One option is that we could take the SQL-based prototypes and
use those.  Ideally, I would like to see this sort of type get
distributed with PostgreSQL eventually (as a contrib module or the
like).

> (That's probably already the plan, but if you're backing this with a type,
> then maybe not...)

The plan is currently open and will depend on a few things.
Basically, if a stable, cross-platform, pre-compiled set of binaries
of the type is available, then we could just distribute it in our
contrib/ directory.  If not, we may want to just use the SQL-based
prototypes.   If this is a matter of a PostgreSQL contrib package,
that would be easy to handle.  Otherwise we're going to have to do
some work anyway to address additional dependencies in a way that
doesn't require roaming the web to find pieces.

> If the idea of 2.0 is "Kis - add what you need", then a small single
> employee local service company, should not have to deal with all this re
> extra dependencies, etc..

Right.

We have been looking at possibly using PgTAP for the test cases in SQL
and that poses the same problem.....

Best wishes,
Chris Travers