Re: ready to branch 1.3 off?

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 8:22 AM, Michael Richardson <..hidden..> wrote:

>    Chris> I think we should look at branching LedgerSMB 1.3 off this
>    Chris> next week since the basic ideas of 2.0 are starting to take
>    Chris> shape.  What do folks think?
>
> I think that it's a recipe for suicide of the project.
>
> You can't start 2.0 while 1.3 is essentially still alpha, requiring way
> too much half-documented expertise to install and configure.

This was exactly what I was thinking but I thought I might be missing
something why this is being done.

Here are my thoughts:

(1) From recent discussion, it seems that 2.0 is a completely new
beast so why branching will help. Why not a completely new project?
What are we going to gain from branching existing code base?

(2) I would recommend "release early release often" strategy. Get 2.0
stable out of door as soon as it is minimally usable; for example when
basic framework is ready and users can create chart and add GL
transactions (even without AR/AP transactions and related reports
etc.)

(3) I am not sure what are the reservations with git but it will
really help all of us. When git was getting popular I was using SVN
for my own projects and was really satisfied. When everyone started
moving to git from svn, I tried it reluctantly and then just
discovered what I was missing. Now I think svn as a stone age tool.

(4) I also like github with its simpler and clean interface but
hosting git repository yourself is also not too much effort.

Regards
Armaghan
--
- Sql-Ledger hosting, docs and development
- http://www.ledger123.com/