Re: Error Handling in 2.0

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010, Chris Travers wrote:

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 10:46 AM, John Locke <..hidden..> wrote:
Ok this might be a dumb noob question, but why use some hexadecimal
notation of the module? Why not just the string module name?

I was thinking about having a much more compact error notation.  Maybe
the namespace it is called from would be a good thing to use instead
though.

I actually think the hex idea is the right one, provided that the display code can look it up and append the user-comprehensible module name. My thinking is that you could conceivably run into a circumstance where the module name is ambiguous, whereas a module ID of some kind would be unique. Also, in bug reporting, if you have several potential modules with one name, it might be useful to differentiate.

As for the error ID, I am wondering if it might be better to use a
short string as well.  That way we could use SQL State codes as error
id's as well.

Seems reasonable.

Luke