Re: Proposal for 2.0: SODA 2.0

Kaare Rasmussen wrote:

>> I can't speak for Chris, but from my point of view, putting everything
>> in the DB is nice because it lets me use $FAVORITE_LANGUAGE to access
>> the database, where $FAVORITE_LANGUAGE may or may not be Perl.

> That's what REST (or webservices) are for. ISTM that you want to replace a
> perl api with an api written in a much more rigid language. I'm sure it will
> hurt developer performance (and perhaps developer enthusiasm)..

But we're going in circles... Chris mentioned that he wanted to be able
to write thick clients that do *not* use a Web-services model (I assume
for performance reasons...)

A REST API works well mostly, but where it falls down is for
triggering things.  As a concrete example, we sell software and
distribute it using download accounts that expire when a customer's
support term expires.  I'd like to have something automatically update
a customer's expiry when a payment is posted on an invoice.  That
requires a plugin that can initiate an action in response to some
event.

Regards,

David.