Re: Proposed Architecture Changes in 2.0 (Request for comments)

Just to note what we get from being close to the db and letting it do
our authentication for us:

1)  The business logic and security enforcement is centralized in the
db, so it can be accessed consistently through third party interfaces,
perhaps written in other languages.  This reduces the possibility of
addons and integration efforts causing invalid data.

2)  Since the db handles authentication and it supports a variety of
authentication possibilities we can take advantage of this.  For
example, in 1.3 it is possible out of the box to hook into LDAP for
password authentication (for example, to authenticate against a
Windows Active Directory domain), and in 2.0, the number of
possibilities that can be handed off to the db will increase.

I think both of these benefits are extremely important and would not
want to sacrifice them.

Hope this helps,
Chris Travers