Premature end of script headers: login.pl - Am I on the right track?

I thought I followed the instructions fairly well. I just finished up
the install and config and when I go to the
http://localhost/ledgersmb/ I first get what I'm assuming to be the
default index.html page with a login link then refreshes a page with

<b>Server error!

The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete
your request.

Error message:
Premature end of script headers: login.pl </b>

Idk if I am on the right track...

I used git: git svn clone
https://ledger-smb.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/ledger-smb/trunk/

to clone what I understand to be v1.3 to my Opensuse 11 install and
made a branch to work in. From there I followed the included INSTALL
fairly closely. Any clue as to how to booger hunt the problem or what
is going on? TIA