Re: Ubuntu Server Installation

David A. Bandel wrote:
On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 8:13 PM, Chris Bennett
<..hidden..> wrote:

[snip]

Three questions.

1. PostgreSQL defaults to UTF-8 encoding instead of SQL-ASCII as in
OpenBSD. Is this a problem? On either side?

Only if you try to use extended ASCII characters.

2. I noticed that there was no lsmbdata database created as happens with
OpenBSD. Is this correct? The program seems to function OK at first glance.

If it works, it must be OK.  I created a ledgersmb database for common
use, and that's what your lsmbdata probably is.

Looking closer, it appears to me that lsmbdata is normally used internally as a template and with OpenBSD is first installed externally into PSQL and then used from there as a template.
3. I couldn't get the command  createdb -U ledgersmb -O ledgersmb
ledgersmb  to work unless I created a Unix user ledgersmb first.
    Is there some other solution to that problem I'm not seeing?

Yes, you must change the pg_hba.conf (then restart postgresql) to
reflect a different type of authentication than "ident sameuser", such
as md5, pam, etc.  See the pg_hba.conf file for an explanation and
examples.
Ok. I saw some references to "ident sameuser" in Ubuntu, now I understand exactly what that means and implies.
OpenBSD defaults to "md5", which I understand clearly.

I would be curious which method, (or perhaps some other method), if any, users would prefer?
Do any of the other OS's default to a third method?

I'll re-install a few times and write up a guide.

Chris Bennett