Re: Screenshots for 1.3, page layout

On Saturday, March 21, 2009 8:58 PM Chris Travers wrote:

On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 10:01 AM, John1 <..hidden..>
wrote:

As yet, I know nothing about how localisation is implemented in
Ledgersmb. Indeed, I know *nothing* about the structure of the
ledgersmb code in general, so I apologise in advance that any
suggestions I make are from this position of ignorance.

If you are concerned that say shortening "Customer number" to "Cust
no" is going make it confusing for translators then perhaps you
could consider having a field description for each field. This could
either be a detailed description e.g. "Customer number is a unique
reference number allocated to each customer account", and/or each
field could have longname (Customer number) and shortname (Cust no).
Then, the shortname or longname can be chosen for each screen
independently depending on space available.

First before I begin, I like your general suggestion to line up
fields.  Unfortunately, I also think it will take us some time to get
this exactly implemented.

That was my only point really - so it's good to know it's on the todo list even if it takes a while to get perfect.

I guess I am going to propose language-specific CSS filles for now.
Handheld support is desirable, but at the moment, Pocket IE is not
supported. Minimo works but I found it to be unstable. I don't know
about mobile opera, and pocket IE can be supported by add-on
developers for their add-ons without a lot of work.

I wouldn't have thought that there would be that much demand for
handheld support, but certainly worth laying the foundations for
handheld support in the way that page structure is implemented.

Handhelds with barcode scanners are VERY useful things regarding
shipping/receiving.  There have been folks asking for mobile internet
versions that allow people to fill out time cards from their cell
phones as well.  While I don't think there is likely to be a big
demand for this on the customer/vendor entry screen, one never knows
what one might need to support in advance in business automation
environments, so.....

Yes, you are quite right - I see Chris Bennett has also made his case for handheld support. It's always dangerous to say that there "won't be much demand" for something just because you don't use it yourself at the moment :-)

I am no expert on page layout and certainly not css, but I suppose
if the field names are put in one <div> and the input boxes in
another <div> then css can be used to achieve alignment of the input
boxes. As long the need to align input fields is being considered
when designing new page structures then that's fine. It's good to
know that a lot of thought is being put into a clean and flexible
page structure. I appreciate it may take a major branch or two to
really sort out.

On the address div (although this needs to be refactored), I use
relative CSSP to move the 2nd and 3rd address lines over to line up.
The same thing could be used elsewhere to pad stuff on the left.  One
could even use it to implement rtl-type switching labels and inputs.

Right, I had noticed that the address lines did line up on http://ledgersmb.org/files/contact-no-js.png