Re: OpenBSD Installation Page

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 1:51 PM, Chris Bennett
<..hidden..> wrote:
> I have put up an OpenBSD installation page at
>
> http://www.ledgersmb.info/OpenBSD_Install.html
>
> Please let me know if anything is incorrect.
>
> I noticed that 1.2.17 is not fully compatible with the packages
> for OpenBSD 4.4, but does fine for OpenBSD -current

I have two lsmb installations running in one company, each in a
separate branch. I have run a few versions over the past several years
and upgraded without problem.

Upgrades of obsd have also been smooth. Currently using 4.4. I also
side stepped the chroot issue with apache by disabling it with the -u
option. This is an in-house solution with very few staff, none of whom
understand that there is a server in the back room. They still ask why
they cannot see the lsmb web pages from home. I have offered remote
access via ssh to them and they don't use it. That's the long way to
say this is a very simple installation.

Regarding your installation notes:

Prepare Apache for use:
Didn't do any of this. I try really hard to keep OpenBSD unchanged
from it's default settings.

Using PostgreSQL in an OpenBSD environment:
Installed postgresql from packages and it works great. I have learned
to love postgresql.

Kerberos authentication: didn't do this.

Clients/Frontends:
I don't need them. I like the command line. I particularly like psql.
I can remote ssh into the openbsd box and work on the system, the db
or the perl code (I really try to avoid the perl code).

Install ledgersmb package:
I installed to /var/www/ledgersmb and adjusted /var/www/conf/httpd.conf.
I also installed perl modules from packages as much as possible and
then used cpan for the rest. I notice that there are more perl
packages arriving all the time. Soon we may not need cpan.

Dataset Creation:
I think this pretty much matches what I did. Did I mention how much I
like that psql utility?

I like OpenBSD for it's simplicity and reliability. I particularly
enjoy their active mailing list. It never gets dull and I always learn
something.

Thanks for taking the time to write up your experience. It's good to
know that others are using OpenBSD. Maybe one of us will be motivated
to get the chroot on apache working. I'm betting that I can out-wait
you.

Regards,
Gerald.