Re: Reports...

Hi Del;

On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 9:49 AM, Del Miller <..hidden..> wrote:

> So I'd like to make, what appears to be, a simple change to a report and
> am hopelessly lost and looking for some direction.

Your frustration is not unusual.  The legacy code is hard to follow.
I can't wait until we get rid of all of it :-)

> It would seem that if one goes to AR->Customers->Reports->History,
> selects Sales Invoices, Summary and then enters the From: & To: fields,
> that the report I'm after should appear... a summary  of invoices to a
> given customer over a given time frame.  All the pieces seem to be in
> place, if I could just modify the code to produce the report given the
> seletions.  Wouldn't be hard -- it's already looping though customers
> and displaying invoices/details -- all that need happen is to add an
> accumulator and display the total for each customer on the resulting report.

Hmm...  Looks like I accidently got rid of the history report in
1.3.....  Fortunately, this area needs to be rewritten for clarity
anyway in 1.3, so I am going to propose a reasonably portable
solution.

We create a stored procedure for the report, and I hand it to Del for
modifications.  Then she can add a little logic to call her modified
stored proc in CT->get_history() and hand it back to me for porting to
1.3.

> The problem is that I can't, for the life of me, follow the code enough
> to figure out where to put it!

CT.pm, get_history generates the report.  Good luck following that
function though :-(

Now you can see why we are advocating an incremental rewrite to get
rid of ALL inherited code ;-).

>  After several hours of
> searching/grepping/schlepping/slogging/poking/prodding/etc. through code
> I don't feel as if I'm any closer to a solution then before I started.
> All I need is a couple of hints as to where the bodies are buried --
> I'll go dig them up, I don't mind getting dirty.  Everything seems to
> point to  ./bin/ct.pl & ./LedgerSMB/CT.PM but from there I'm lost.  What
> gets called?  What generates the report page?  All I want is a add a
> field without going insane.

bin/ct.pl sub history
bin/ct.pl sub list_history
LedgerSMB/CT.pm sub get_history