Reports...

Hello,

It's been awhile since I've attempted, but once again I find myself
starring at the heaping pile of pretzel logic and spaghetti code that is
ledgerSMB (not that I'm blaming you guys, quite the contrary.  I am
constantly amazed that you folks are able to accomplish *any*
improvements given what you had to start with).

So I'd like to make, what appears to be, a simple change to a report and
am hopelessly lost and looking for some direction.

My Goal:  To be able to get a summary of the amount billed a customer
over a given time frame.

Options (as supplied by Chris Travers & Turtle -- thanks guys):
    1) Create an external report via a spreadsheet of my choice (OOo).
    2) Modify the software to generate said report.

I know, I know... I should do the *easy* thing, but I have this deep
desire to do the *right* thing and maybe be able to contribute something
back.  Besides, it seems to be *almost* there already.

It would seem that if one goes to AR->Customers->Reports->History,
selects Sales Invoices, Summary and then enters the From: & To: fields,
that the report I'm after should appear... a summary  of invoices to a
given customer over a given time frame.  All the pieces seem to be in
place, if I could just modify the code to produce the report given the
seletions.  Wouldn't be hard -- it's already looping though customers
and displaying invoices/details -- all that need happen is to add an
accumulator and display the total for each customer on the resulting report.

The problem is that I can't, for the life of me, follow the code enough
to figure out where to put it!  After several hours of
searching/grepping/schlepping/slogging/poking/prodding/etc. through code
I don't feel as if I'm any closer to a solution then before I started.
All I need is a couple of hints as to where the bodies are buried --
I'll go dig them up, I don't mind getting dirty.  Everything seems to
point to  ./bin/ct.pl & ./LedgerSMB/CT.PM but from there I'm lost.  What
gets called?  What generates the report page?  All I want is a add a
field without going insane.

Any hints? (yeah, I know, create an external report using the
spreadsheet of my choice... )

Regards
Del