1.3 UI, user management, and sponsorship

Hi,

I've been on vacation a bit, and was interested in reading the sponsorship thread by Ed, along with Joshua's note about UI developments.

We're quite interested in working on the UI part of the system, though have needed to focus on billable work. With some sponsorship, we would love to work on this part of getting LedgerSMB out the door.

In previous discussions with Chris, I proposed using the Dojo Toolkit to implement lookups and other widgets in the interface, features that sound like need to be implemented. It would actually be quite simple to add to the template layer, with some extra handler subs defined for data calls.

You can get a feel for the work we're doing with Dojo on our demo server, http://demo.freelock.com. Project Auriga is our in-house application, under heavy development right now, and it uses Dojo Toolkit extensively. There's also LSMB 1.2 and trunk running there.

Specific things we've been planning to work on:

* Add json request handlers to LSMB, starting with the customer/vendor screens, adding subs to scripts/customer.pl that return json-formatted objects with requested data in a format that can be consumed by out-of-the box Dojo data stores

* Add specific dojo widgets to customer/vendor screens to start: tabbed interface, auto-complete search fields, date pickers, validation on text fields. Possibly also add a context-sensitive help pane to the interface (see "Show Help" in Project Auriga). Implement all widgets in a way that degrades gracefully, and works with Javascript turned off. Support IE6 with Javascript on.

* Fix the login so you don't get a browser http auth window if you enter a bad password (note that Project Auriga passes http auth now, and we've resolved this issue across browsers--I'm about to write up a tech note describing how)

* Add user management interfaces to allow administrators to set up users with a particular set of roles

If Ed or anyone else can provide sponsorship for these features, we can start working on them much sooner--as a business here, I need to prioritize paying work first (so I can meet payroll!). You can contact me directly at john at freelock.com.

We've been planning to work on a tax module for destination-based sales tax, and a payroll module for quite some time, but haven't begun any of these since we've been waiting for 1.3 to stabilize...

--
John Locke
"Open Source Solutions for Small Business Problems"